I've shared why every group participant should have a role, but what are these roles? Here are just some of the roles we've come up with for groups at Northeast Christian. I'm sure there are plenty more than these, so I'm looking forward to what others suggest.
- Study Champion: Facilitates study time; helps group decide on what to study
- Serve Champion: Helps plan serving opportunities with group
- Outreach Champion: Helps group reach out to and pray for friends who do not have a relationship with Christ
- Inreach Champion: Keeps group focused on themselves rather than anyone else outside the group. Has strong belief that the group revolves around him and his needs
- Worship Champion: May lead worship in group, whether it involves singing, or other forms of worship
- Social Champion: Helps plan group social activities
- Prayer Champion: Leads prayer times, may keep prayer journal
- Doomsday Champion: Makes plans for the whole group for all end-of-the-world scenarios. Spiritual gift: prophesy (she says). Knows the book of Revelation forward and backward. Has seen 2012 twelve times.
- Host(ess)/Hospitality Champion: Hosts group or helps plan who hosts
- Food Champion: Helps plan anything dealing with food
- Timekeeper: Helps group stay on track with time
- Topper: Role is to top anyone else's story or prayer request (reference: Dilbert)
- Information Champion: Keeps group information up-to-date. Communicates with the Small Groups Ministry Office about the group. (This person is probably administrative and enjoys using the web; i.e. Facebook)
- American Idol Champion: Keeps the group up-to-date weekly on what is happening on his or her favorite reality TV shows, sometimes interrupting worship or Bible study to do so. Does not get along well with Worship or Study Champions or Timekeeper.
- Group Communication Champion: Communicates with the group about meetings, etc. (This person may enjoy using email, texting, Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
- Coffee Champion: Makes sure coffee is brewed at each meeting. Is usually a "coffee snob." Helps keep group awake during Study Champion's less-exciting lessons.
OK, maybe these are not all real group roles. And maybe you have a few of you own. Please share them by commenting!